Thursday, July 22, 2010

Lowering my 'level' of respect...

"Time" magazine sent me a laser level/tape measure as a "thank you gift" for subscribing. Just what I always wanted.

I mean, really, "Time"??? A level? I subscribed to your magazine because it provides in-depth, global news coverage. Had I been in the market for a lasered level, I would have subscribed to "Fine Woodworking" or even "Better Homes and Gardens."

And I can't even pretend to use the laser as a weapon, because my new laser level (that is only even remotely cool because of the laser) did not come with batteries. So the only part I was interested in, does not work, and because I did not want/need it in the first place, I am not inclined to go purchase batteries for it.

My message is this: Know. Your. Audience. I already had a tape measure with a level, which I have used maybe 10 times in 5 years. One is sufficient for all my handyman needs. Thus, having two of them - laser or not - seems excessive.

If you want to get me a gift, "Time," send me some free 'time.' Literal or metaphorical, I'm ok with either.

No comments:

Post a Comment