Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hobos anon.

There are a lot of homeless people in Todd County, unfortunately. Many of them are in a perpetual state of *something* - drunk, high, etc. There is also a lot of hitchhiking through Indian Country. It's not at all uncommon for "street people" to come into our office and try to sell something.

This is what happened yesterday.

A man came in, and approached my coworker. He said he was a writer - poetry, short stories - and homeless (made me feel wonderful about the profession I chose) and looking for some money to get to where he's going. He was also very not quite right. After Marie told him he had no money, he kinda tried to stare her down. She doesn't stare down very well, so he asked if he could come talk to me (I'd been hiding in the corner).

He walks up to my desk.

"Ma'am?"

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you could take a picture of me and put it in your paper."

"Um...well why? I mean, what's the story?"

"Homeless person."

"Oh...ok...well...um, yeah...I'm sorry...I don't think we can do that."

Since I told him no, he then asked if he could borrow a dollar.

I told him that I didn't have any money either, being rather homeless myself at the moment, and I was sorry.

So, Mr. Hobo then tried to stare me down. When that didn't work, he asked if he could have a cup of coffee. I stuttered out something about how if he had a cup, then sure. So he asked Marie, who was just making a fresh pot. She said we were out and he'd have to wait a few minutes but then he could have some. He was starting to get a little bit angry and semi aggressive at this point, so he plopped down in a chair in the office. for about 5 seconds. Then he stomped outside, and said "I'll be back" over his shoulder as he left. He did not come back.

I saw him a little bit later at the post office, talking to people as they came out and got in their cars. Then he kept walking east. I truly wish him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment